At American Student Assistance® (ASA), our vision is to help kids discover their education and career opportunities. To help as many people as possible do this, we are committed to ensuring our services are accessible. We have tested the ASA® website against current accessibility and usability best practices, including those developed for compliance with Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act and Americans with Disabilities Act. We recognize that accessibility and usability evolve with technological advances, and as they change, we will continue working to meet these standards to the maximum extent possible. We welcome any ideas or comments that help us improve the accessibility and usability of our website. If you have any difficulty using this site, please email us at [email protected].
Last updated October 12, 2022
American Student Assistance (“ASA” or “We” or “Us”) respects your privacy and is committed to protecting it through our compliance with this policy.
This policy describes the types of information we may collect from you or that you may provide to us when you visit the website www.asa.org (our “Website”) along with our practices for collecting, using, maintaining, protecting, and disclosing that information.
This policy applies to the information we collect:
- On this Website.
- In email, text, and other electronic messages between you and our Website.
For Our Student Loan Borrowers
Children Under the Age of 13
Our Website is not intended for children under 13 years of age. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13. If you are under 13, do not register on the Website, do not use any of the interactive or public comment features of this Website, and do not provide any information about yourself including your name, address, telephone number, email address, you may use. If we learn that we have collected or received personal information from a child under 13 without parental consent, we will delete that information. If you believe that we might have any information from or about a child under 13, please contact us as soon as possible at: [email protected].
Information We Collect About You and How We Collect It
The information that we may collect from and about you when you visit our Website, includes information:
- By which you may be contacted, such as your name, e-mail address, or telephone number, or any other identifier by which you may be contacted online or offline (“Personal Information”) , if you provide it by filling out the form on this Website.
- Records and copies of communications between you and ASA (including email addresses) if you contact us.
- Your responses to surveys that we might ask you to complete for research purposes.
- About your internet connection, the equipment you use to access our Website, and usage details, which may be automatically collected as you navigate through the site using technologies such as cookies, web beacons, and other tracking technologies, which is collected through automatic data collection technologies, as more fully described below.
Information We Collect Through Automatic Data Collection Technologies
As you navigate through and interact with our Website, we may use automatic data collection technologies to collect certain information about your equipment, browsing actions, and patterns, including:
- Details of your visits to our Website, including traffic data, location data, logs, and other communication data, and the resources that you access and use on the Website.
- Information about your computer and internet connection, including your IP address, operating system, and browser type.
- We also may use these technologies to collect information about your online activities over time and across third-party websites or other online services (behavioral tracking).
The information we collect automatically helps us to improve our Website and to deliver a better and more personalized service, including by enabling us to:
- Estimate our audience size and usage patterns.
- Store information about your preferences, allowing us to customize our Website according to your individual interests.
- Speed up your searches.
- Recognize you when you return to our Website.
The technologies we use for this automatic data collection may include:
- YouTube Technologies. We embed videos from our official YouTube channel using YouTube’s privacy-enhanced mode. This mode may set cookies on your computer once you click on the YouTube video player, but YouTube will not store personally identifiable cookie information for playbacks of embedded videos using the privacy-enhanced mode.
- Tracking Pixels. Pages of our website may contain embedded HTML code snippets that permit ASA to track user visits to our website pages and behavior on those pages, which allow third-party advertising partners to display ASA content and advertisements on those third-party websites and services.
- Web Beacons. Pages of our Website may contain small electronic files known as web beacons (also referred to as clear gifs, pixel tags, and single-pixel gifs) that permit ASA, for example, to count users who have visited those pages and for other related website statistics (for example, recording the popularity of certain website content and verifying system and server integrity).
How We Use Your Information
We use information that we collect about you or that you provide to us, including any Personal Information:
- To present our Website and its contents to you.
- To provide you with information, or services that you request from us.
- To fulfill any other purpose for which you provide it.
- To notify you about changes to our Website or any products or services we offer or provide though it.
- To advertise our services to you, including through third-party websites and services.
- To allow you to participate in interactive features on our Website.
- In any other way we may describe when you provide the information.
- For any other purpose with your consent.
Disclosure of Your Information
Aggregated information is information about our users combined, instead of about a single user. We may disclose aggregated information about our users or information about a single user that does not identify the individual, without restriction, including aggregated information gathered via cookies, web beacons, and tracking pixels.
We may disclose your Personal Information that we collect for the following purposes:
- To service providers, contractors, and other third parties that support our business and who are bound by contract to keep Personal Information confidential and use it only for the business purposes for which we disclose it to them.
- As part of a change in business structure or ownership of ASA. We may disclose Personal Information to the buyer or other successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of ASA’s assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which Personal Information held by ASA about our Website users is among the assets transferred.
- To fulfill the purpose for which you provide it.
- For any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information.
- To comply with any court order, law, or legal process, including to respond to any government or regulatory request.
- If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of ASA, our customers, or others.
Interest Based Advertising
ASA does not display any targeted advertising on our Website. However, we participate in interest-based advertising and use third-party advertising companies to serve you targeted advertisements on other websites, apps, or services, including on Facebook, Snapchat, various Google services, LinkedIn, and other social networks, or on other devices you may use. These third-party ad networks use tracking technologies to recognize your browser or device and to collect information about your visit to our Website to provide you customized content, advertising, and commercial messages, including from ASA, which may be more relevant to your interests, as well as to provide advertising-related services such as reporting, attribution, analytics, and market research.
Please note that we use our best efforts and take multiple steps to avoid the collection of information for targeted advertising purposes from children under 13, including by prohibiting children under 13 from creating a user profile on the Website, and by prohibiting any use of the Website by children under 13 in this policy.
To learn about interest-based advertising and how you may be able to opt-out of some of this advertising, you may wish to visit the Network Advertising Initiative’s (NAI’s) online resources, at http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices, and/or the Digital Advertising Alliance’s (DAA) resources at http://www.aboutads.info/choices. You may also be able to limit interest-based advertising through the settings on your mobile device by selecting “limit ad tracking” (iOS) or “opt-out of interest-based ads” (Android). You may also be able to opt-out of some – but not all – interest-based ads served by mobile ad networks by visiting http://youradchoices.com/appchoices and downloading the mobile AppChoices app.
Please note that opting-out of receiving interest-based advertising through the NAI’s and DAA’s online resources will only opt-out a user from receiving interest-based ads on that specific browser or device, but the user may still receive interest-based ads on their other devices. You must perform the opt-out on each browser or device you use.
Choices About How We Use and Disclose Your Information
We strive to provide you with choices regarding the Personal Information you provide to us. We have created mechanisms to provide you with the following control over your information:
We do not control third parties’ collection or use of your information to serve interest-based advertising, which you might access by clicking on external links included within our site. However, these third parties may provide you with ways to choose not to have your information used in this way. As more fully described above, you can opt out of receiving targeted ads from members of the NAI on the NAI’s website, and additional resources are available through DAA.
Accessing and Correcting Your Information
You can review and change your Personal Information by logging into the Website and visiting your account profile page.
You may also send us an email at [email protected] to request access to, correct, or delete any Personal Information that you have provided to us. We cannot delete your Personal Information except by also deleting your user account. We may not accommodate a request to change information if we believe the change would violate any law or legal requirement or cause the information to be incorrect.
We have implemented industry-standard security technologies, procedures, and organizational measures designed to secure your Personal Information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration, and disclosure. All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers behind firewalls.
You agree to notify us immediately of any unauthorized access to or use of your username or password or any other breach of security. You may report unauthorized access by sending an email to [email protected].
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we do our best to protect your Personal Information, we cannot guarantee the security of your Personal Information transmitted to our Website. Any transmission of Personal Information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the Website.
To register a complaint or concern, please email [email protected].
Last updated October 12, 2022
This Website is offered and available only to users 13 years of age or older and who reside in the United States. By using this Website, you represent and warrant that you meet the foregoing age and residence requirements. If you do not meet these requirements, you must not access or use the Website.
Our Website utilizes YouTube API Services and links to YouTube videos. By using the Website, you are also bound by YouTube’s Terms of Service, available at https://www.youtube.com/t/terms.
Accessing the Website
We reserve the right to withdraw or amend this Website, and any service or material we provide on the Website, in our sole discretion and without notice to you. We will not be legally responsible if all or any part of the Website becomes unavailable for any reason, at any time, or for any period. From time to time, we may restrict access to some parts of the Website, or the entire Website, to all users or particular users. You are responsible for both:
- Making all arrangements necessary for you to have access to the Website.
Intellectual Property Rights
This Website and its entire contents, features, and functionality are owned by ASA, its licensors, or other providers of such material and are protected by United States and international copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret, and other intellectual property or proprietary rights laws.
- Your computer may temporarily store copies of such materials in RAM incidental to your accessing and viewing those materials.
- You may store files that are automatically cached by your Web browser for display enhancement purposes.
- You may print or download one copy of a reasonable number of pages of the Website for your own personal, non-commercial use and not for further reproduction, publication, or distribution.
- If we provide social media features with certain content, you may take such actions as are enabled by such features.
You must not:
- Modify or change copies of any materials from this site.
- Use any illustrations, photographs, video or audio sequences, or any graphics separately from the accompanying text.
- Delete or alter any copyright, trademark, or other proprietary rights notices from copies of materials from this site.
You must not access or use for any commercial purposes any part of the Website or any services or materials available through the Website.
If you wish to make any use of material on the Website other than as described in this section, please contact us at: [email protected].
American Student Assistance®, ASA®, the ASA logo, delta-a logo, ASAFuturescape®, Futurescape®, Next Voice, and all related names, logos, product and service names, designs, and slogans are trademarks of ASA, its affiliates, or licensors. You must not use such marks without the prior written permission of ASA. All other names, logos, product and service names, designs, and slogans on this Website are the trademarks of their respective owners. All rights reserved.
- In any way that violates any applicable federal, state, local, or international law or regulation (including, without limitation, any laws regarding the export of data or software to and from the US or other countries).
- For the purpose of exploiting, harming, or attempting to exploit or harm minors in any way by exposing them to inappropriate content, asking for personally identifiable information, or otherwise.
- To transmit, or procure the sending of, any advertising or promotional material, including any “junk mail,” “chain letter,” “spam,” or any other similar solicitation.
- To impersonate or attempt to impersonate ASA, an ASA employee, another user, or any other person or entity (including, without limitation, by using e-mail addresses or screen names associated with any of the foregoing).
- To engage in any other conduct that restricts or inhibits anyone’s use or enjoyment of the Website, or which, as determined by us, may harm ASA or users of the Website, or expose them to liability.
Additionally, you agree not to:
- Use the Website in any manner that could disable, overburden, damage, or impair the site or interfere with any other party’s use of the Website, including their ability to engage in real time activities through the Website.
- Use any robot, spider, or other automatic device, process, or means to access the Website for any purpose, including monitoring or copying any of the material on the Website.
- Use any device, software, or routine that interferes with the proper working of the Website.
- Introduce any viruses, trojan horses, worms, logic bombs, or other material which is malicious or technologically harmful.
- Attempt to gain unauthorized access to, interfere with, damage, or disrupt any parts of the Website, the server on which the Website is stored, or any server, computer, or database connected to the Website.
- Attack the Website via a denial-of-service attack or a distributed denial-of-service attack.
- Otherwise attempt to interfere with the proper working of the Website.
Links to and from the Website; Social Media Features
You may link to our homepage, provided you do so in a way that is fair and legal and does not damage our reputation or take advantage of it, but you must not establish a link in such a way as to suggest any form of association, approval, or endorsement on our part without our express written consent.
If the Website contains links to other sites and resources provided by third parties, these links are provided for your convenience only. This includes links contained in advertisements, including banner advertisements and sponsored links. We have no control over the contents of those sites or resources and accept no responsibility for them or for any loss or damage that may arise from your use of them. If you decide to access any of the third-party websites linked to this Website, you do so entirely at your own risk and subject to the terms and conditions of use for such websites.
This Website may provide certain social media features that enable you to:
- Link from your own or certain third-party websites to certain content on this Website.
- Send e-mails or other communications with certain content, or links to certain content, on this Website.
- Cause limited portions of content on this Website to be displayed or appear to be displayed on your own or certain third-party websites.
You may use these features solely as they are provided by us, including with any citations or credits to third party sources, solely with respect to the content they are displayed with, and otherwise in accordance with any additional terms and conditions we provide with respect to such features. Subject to the foregoing, you must not:
- Establish a link from any website that is not owned by you.
- Cause the Website or portions of it to be displayed, or appear to be displayed by, for example, framing, deep linking or in-line linking, on any other site.
The website from which you are linking, or on which you make certain content accessible, must not:
- Contain any material which is defamatory, obscene, indecent, abusive, offensive, harassing, violent, hateful, inflammatory, or otherwise objectionable.
- Promote sexually explicit or pornographic material, violence, or discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation, or age.
- Infringe any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright, or other intellectual property or other rights of any other person.
- Be likely to deceive any person.
- Promote any illegal activity, or advocate, promote, or assist any unlawful act.
- Cause annoyance, inconvenience, or needless anxiety or be likely to upset, embarrass, alarm, or annoy any other person.
- Impersonate any person or misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person or organization.
- Involve commercial activities or sales, such as contests, sweepstakes, and other sales promotions, barter, or advertising.
- Give the impression that they emanate from or are endorsed by ASA or any other person or entity if this is not the case.
You agree to cooperate with us in causing any unauthorized framing or linking immediately to cease. We reserve the right to withdraw linking permission without notice.
We may disable all or any social media features and any links at any time without notice in our discretion.
Reliance on Information Posted
The information presented on or through the Website is made available solely for general information purposes. We do not warrant the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of this information. Any reliance you place on such information is strictly at your own risk. We disclaim all liability and responsibility arising from any reliance placed on such materials by you or any other visitor to the Website, or by anyone who may be informed of its contents.
Changes to the Website
We may update the content on this Website from time to time, but its content is not necessarily complete or up to date. Any of the material on the Website may be out of date at any given time, and we are under no obligation to update such material.
Information About You and Your Visits to the Website
The owner of the Website is based in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts in the United States. We provide this Website for use only by persons located in the United States. We make no claims that the Website or any of its content is accessible or appropriate outside of the United States. Access to the Website may not be legal by certain persons in certain countries. If you access the Website from outside the United States, you do so at your own initiative and are responsible for compliance with your own local laws.
Disclaimer of Warranties
You understand that we cannot and do not guarantee or warrant that files available for downloading from the internet or the Website will be free of viruses or other destructive code. You are responsible for implementing sufficient procedures and checkpoints to satisfy your particular requirements for anti-virus protection and accuracy of data input and output, and for maintaining a means external to our site for any reconstruction of any lost data. TO THE FULLEST ETENT PROVIDED BY LAW, WE WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE CAUSED BY A DISTRIBUTED DENIAL-OF-SERVICE ATTACK, VIRUSES, OR OTHER TECHNOLOGICALLY HARMFUL MATERIAL THAT MAY INFECT YOUR COMPUTER EQUIPMENT, COMPUTER PROGRAMS, DATA, OR OTHER PROPRIETARY MATERIAL DUE TO YOUR USE OF THE WEBSITE OR ANY SERVICES OR ITEMS OBTAINED THROUGH THE WEBSITE OR TO YOUR DOWNLOADING OF ANY MATERIAL POSTED ON IT, OR ON ANY WEBSITE LINKED TO IT.
YOUR USE OF THE WEBSITE, ITS CONTENT, AND ANY SERVICES OR ITEMS OBTAINED THROUGH THE WEBSITE IS AT YOUR OWN RISK. THE WEBSITE IS PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS, WITHOUT ANY WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. NEITHER ASA NOR ANY PERSON ASSOCIATED WITH ASA MAKES ANY WARRANTY OR REPRESENTATION WITH RESPECT TO THE COMPLETENESS, SECURITY, RELIABILITY, QUALITY, ACCURACY, OR AVAILABILITY OF THE WEBSITE. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, NEITHER ASA NOR ANYONE ASSOCIATED WITH ASA REPRESENTS OR WARRANTS THAT THE WEBSITE WILL BE ACCURATE, RELIABLE, ERROR-FREE, OR UNINTERRUPTED, THAT DEFECTS WILL BE CORRECTED, THAT OUR WEBSITE OR THE SERVER THAT MAKES IT AVAILABLE ARE FREE OF VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS OR THAT THE WEBSITE WILL OTHERWISE MEET YOUR NEEDS OR EXPECTATIONS.
TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PROVVIDED BY LAW, ASA HEREBY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, STATUTORY OR OTHERWISE, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, NON-INFRINGEMENT, OR FITNESS FOR PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
THE FOREGOING DOES NOT AFFECT ANY WARRANTIES WHICH CANNOT BE EXCLUDED OR LIMITED UNDER APPLICABLE LAW.
Limitation on Liability
TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PROVIDED BY LAW, IN NO EVENT WILL ASA, ITS AFFILIATES, LICENSORS, SERVICE PROVIDERS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, OFFICERS, OR DIRECTORS BE LIABLE FOR DAMAGES OF ANY KIND, UNDER ANY LEGAL THEORY, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH YOUR USE, OR INABILITY TO USE, THE WEBSITE OR ANY WEBSITES LINKED TO IT, INCLUDING ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PERSONAL INJURY, PAIN AND SUFFERING, EMOTIONAL DISTRESS, LOSS OF REVENUE, LOSS OF PROFITS, LOSS OF BUSINESS OR ANTICIPATED SAVINGS, LOSS OF USE, LOSS OF GOODWILL, LOSS OF DATA, AND WHETHER CAUSED BY TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), BREACH OF CONTRACT OR OTHERWISE, EVEN IF FORESEEABLE.
THE FOREGOING DOES NOT AFFECT ANY LIABILITY WHICH CANNOT BE EXCLUDED OR LIMITED UNDER APPLICABLE LAW.
Governing Law and Jurisdiction
Waiver and Severability
ASA takes copyright infringement seriously and complies with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). If you believe that any material on the Website violates your copyright, please notify us at [email protected], and submit a notice to our authorized copyright agent, who will accept and review all claims submitted to it. The notice must, by law (17 U.S.C.A. § 512(c)(3)) contain the following:
- A physical or electronic signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.
- Identification of the copyrighted work claimed to have been infringed, or, if multiple copyrighted works at a single online site are covered by a single notification, a representative list of such works at that site.
- Identification of the material that is claimed to be infringing or to be the subject of infringing activity and that is to be removed or access to which is to be disabled, and information reasonably sufficient to permit the service provider to locate the material.
- Information reasonably sufficient to permit the service provider to contact the complaining party, such as an address, telephone number, and, if available, an electronic mail address at which the complaining party may be contacted.
- A statement that the complaining party has a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law.
- A statement that the information in the notification is accurate, and under penalty of perjury, that the complaining party is authorized.
Please submit your notice to:
ASA Legal Department
33 Arch Street
Boston, MA 02110
Upon receiving notice that material may be infringing, we will expeditiously take down such content.
It is our policy to terminate access to the website or the user accounts of repeat or intentional infringers.
Your Comments and Concerns
This website is operated by Massachusetts Higher Education Assistance Corporation, d/b/a American Student Assistance, 33 Arch Street, Suite 2100, Boston, Massachusetts 02460.
All other feedback, comments, requests for technical support, and other communications relating to the Website should be directed to: [email protected].
American Student Assistance (ASA) is a private nonprofit with a mission to help students know themselves, know their options, and make informed choices to achieve their education and career goals. We sustain our mission through Innovation, Advocacy, and Investment, with net assets of over $800 million. In March 2021, ASA secured a $100 million social bond to deepen our impact in reaching and engaging students, helping them make informed decisions and achieve life goals. ASA makes available its most recent financial statements here.
We have developed the American Student Assistance (ASA) Social Bond Framework under which the organization intends to issue social bonds. Proceeds will be used to expand the scope of offerings nationwide by providing grant funding to partner organizations and funding the creation and distribution of in-person and digital programs and resources. ASA has a wide range of potential projects outlined in this framework that seek to address the goals laid out by the United Nations to ensure high quality education, economic growth and reduced inequality. The full framework can be found here.
In addition, ASA’s Social Bond Framework has been validated by Sustanalytics and received the opinion that the ASA Social Bond Framework is “credible and impactful and aligns with the four core components of the Social Bond Principles 2020.” The full Second-Party Opinion can be found here.
The ASA Bond Impact report can be found here.