Contact Us

Borrower Advocacy


617.728.4200, ext. 5008

Mon – Fri: 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

Please note: All times Eastern.

Loan Dispute and Discharge

In certain circumstances, you can apply to have your remaining student loan debt reduced or discharged.

Applying for a Discharge

Applying for a discharge—and discharge provisions—differ depending on what type of loan you have.

  • Perkins loan borrowers should contact the school that issued their loan.
  • Borrowers with Stafford and PLUS loans issued through the Federal Family Education Loan Program (FFELP) should contact their current loan holder.
  • Direct Stafford and PLUS loan borrowers must contact the Direct Loan Servicing Center.

If you are applying to discharge loans due to a death, you must provide an original or certified copy of the death certificate to the school or appropriate agency. The U.S. Department of Education offers a complete list of discharge provisions.

If you don’t know what kind of loan you have—or who your current loan holder is—find out with the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS).

We Are on Your Side

Not sure who to contact about your eligibility for a discharge? Start with ASA®. Our Borrower Advocacy team specializes in dispute resolution. Also, when needed, our VP-level ombudsman can personally work with you to resolve difficulties surrounding your loan.