October 15, 2010

Withdrawing From School

You may encounter a situation—like a family illness or other emergency—where you need to withdraw from school. If you need to withdraw, there are several steps you should take in order to officially withdraw from school. If you don’t officially withdraw, you may receive failing grades on your transcript. This could jeopardize your ability to transfer or re-enroll in school.

Procedures vary from school to school, but the following list should give you a good idea of what you’ll need to do to officially withdraw.

  • Pick up a withdrawal form from your school’s registrar office.
  • Contact your financial aid office to determine if your loans have already been disbursed.
  • Turn in your ID badge and keys to residence life.

You will most likely receive a grade of “W” (withdrawn) on your transcript if you withdraw after your school’s add/drop period.

How Will My Loans Be Affected?

If you borrowed student loans to attend college, you or your school may have to return them, depending on when they were disbursed. Ask your financial aid office about your school’s return-of-aid policy.

Remember that you are responsible for paying back your student loans, even if you did not finish your coursework. If you withdraw from school and don’t re-enroll in classes, your loans will go into repayment. Stafford loans go into repayment after a 6-month grace period, while Perkins loans go into repayment after 9 months. If you have private student loans, talk to your lender to find out when you will begin repayment.