Stepparents Income

Dear ASA,

I divorced my son’s biological father 8 years ago and remarried almost 3 years ago. Am I required to include my husband’s income when filling out the FAFSA? What about his father’s information?

Thank you,

Dear Kristen,

Both the parent and the step-parent with whom the student primarily lives with are required to provide their information on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) unless they were not yet married on the date the application was submitted. 

If the student lives with both biological parents equally, the information should be provided by the parent who gives the most support. Based on the wording of your question, it sounds like your son primarily lives with you. If this is the case then yes, your husband will need to provide his financial information on the FAFSA and your son’s biological father will not.

You should note however, that the school may very well require the biological father’s information on their own financial aid forms.

American Student Assistance

Applying for Financial Aid

Earning a degree is a dream for many people. But knowing where to start can seem overwhelming. Get information on applying to college.